Workin’ for the Long Weekend
Here at Sunshine Burger, we live for summer burger holidays: Memorial Day, July 4th, and now, the finale, Labor Day Weekend. Although we plan on cooking up burgers all through tailgate season, we want to make sure you are recipe-ready for the holiday weekend ahead.
We selected some of our favorite plant-based burger toppings and sides and we’re excited to share our take on a classic burger with you!
Workin’ for the Weekend Classic Burger
We start with the classic Sunshine Burger Quarter Pound Original on a bun of your choice. Add a slice of plant-based Chao cheese, pile on caramelized onions and sautéed Hen of the Woods mushrooms (a favorite around here and now in season–they are often called Maitake in the market), drizzle with Sweet & Smoky Motherlode Provisions BBQ Sauce and nuzzle the whole thing next to a pile of Jackson’s Honest Sweet Potato Chips and Farm Hand Zucchini Pickles.
- Sunshine Burger Quarter Pound Original
- Burger bun of your choice
- 1 organic yellow onion
- 1 bunch of seasonal mushrooms like Hen of the Woods, torn apart
- 1 slice of plant-based cheese, such as Chao Creamy Original
- BBQ sauce of your choice
- Kosher salt
- Caramelize the onion first as it takes the longest. Peel and slice the onion into even pieces. Generously coat your pan with olive oil and heat on medium. Add the onions and sprinkle with salt. Cook the onions on medium-low for about 20-30 minutes never letting them burn. Once they are a deep yellow or brown they are done. Set aside.
- Pull apart the Hen of the Woods or slice any other mushroom of your choice. Using the onion pan, add more olive oil, turn the heat to medium-high and then add the mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt and toss until the mushrooms start to look slightly wilted and are easy to poke a fork through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Warm a grill pan or outdoor BBQ grill. Once it’s very hot, add a plant-based oil and place the Sunshine Burger on the grill. About 2 minutes before the burger is done, put a slice of cheese on top and cover the burger to allow the cheese to melt quickly.
- Assemble the burger by putting the onions and mushrooms on, drizzle BBQ sauce and gather any sides you desire on the plate.
We hope you love this recipe as much as we did! You’ve worked hard enough, now enjoy in the fact that you chose healthy and delicious plant-based ingredients for your burger this holiday weekend!
Photo credit: Compass Natural