Our Spicy Tuscan Burger patties cook great on the grill, and this burger recipe is suitable for vegans. The recipe features organic grown tomatoes, avocado, red onion, and fresh, homemade, garlic hummus.
Surprisingly flavorful, and a nice healthy alternative to the usual Memorial Day burger with a tiny kick, our Spicy Tuscan Burger is a timeless classic to make this holiday weekend, and to share with friends and family.
1 box of Sunshine Burger Spicy Tuscan Variety
1 organic beefsteak or vine ripe tomato
1 small, ripe, organic avocado
1 medium, organic red onion
1-15oz. can of your favorite brand of organic garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas)
1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped and minced (pre-minced garlic will work too)
1 cup, organic olive oil, any variety
1 ciabatta bread bun, gluten free, or distinctly Italian choice of burger bun
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Open the can of garbanzo beans and drain over a colander.
2. Add the beans and minced garlic to a food processor. (If you don’t have a food processor, you can buy ready-made hummus. We like Sabra’s Organic Simply Traditional Hummus.)
3. Pulse the beans until it all comes together in a paste.
4. Add a little olive oil at a time. Pulse the hummus again to thoroughly mix in the olive oil. Hummus should stay together nicely but not be runny. If it is too thick, add more olive oil.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Once mixed, put aside.
6. Grill or pan fry one Sunshine Spicy Tuscan burger until golden brown on each side. Put aside.
7. Slice 2-4 thin slices each of the tomato, avocado, and red onion, and put aside.
Options: Place the sliced tomatoes and onions on the grill while you brown the patty. No more than 1-2 minutes.
8. While the burger is being browned, you can slice the ciabatta bun and toast it on the grill.
9. Place the ciabatta bun on the plate and begin layering your delicious holiday burger.
10. Spread a healthy portion of the homemade hummus on the bottom half of the bun.
11. Add your Spicy Tuscan burger, sliced tomatoes, red onions, sliced avocado, and then topped with the ciabatta burger bun.
Enjoy, and happy Memorial Day!