Savory, flavorful and delicious, oh and did we mention vegan? This plant-based quiche made with a hash brown crust is the perfect dish to serve for this Mother’s Day brunch.
1 bag of Alexia hash browns
2 tablespoons of Earth Balance vegan butter
Salt & pepper to taste
Daiya mozzarella cheese
- ¾ pound firm tofu patted dry
- inch of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1 Mushroom Sunshine Burger
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms ( I used portabella, crimini and shiitake)
- ½ cup of spinach
- 1-2 stalks of green onion diced depending on preference
- Preheat oven to 425F/220C with the oven shelf in the top 1/3 of the oven.
- Grease a 9″/ 23cm pie dish (Note 2)
Hash Brown Crust
- Thaw the frozen shredded hash browns and squeeze the excess water out, then place into a large bowl.
- Add melted butter and salt and mix to combine.
- Pour the hash browns into the pie dish. Use a large dessert spoon to spread the hash browns over the base and side of the pie dish.
- Lightly toss Diya shredded cheese to coat the top of the crust.
- Bake the crust for 30-35 minutes or until hash browns are golden.
- Chop the mushrooms, spinach and green onion.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and saute the vegetables until softened and cooked, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the tofu, nutmeg, turmeric, salt, Sunshine Burger patty and soy milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir the vegetables and the tofu mixture together and add pepper to taste.
- Pour the mixed batter into the pie crust and bake for 20-30 minutes or firm and fully heated through.