Falafel Cakes with Turmeric and Creamed Avocado Cilantro Mint Sauce
Recipe by Alexandra Gardner
Adding super food ingredients, like cumin and turmeric, to recipes is an excellent way to spice up your meals and kick-start your New Year resolutions. We use banana as a whole food binding agent in place of eggs and it also adds a nice sweetness to the recipe!
*This recipe is made with the Sunshine Burger Falafel patties and is Vegan and Gluten-Free
Aprox. prep time is 30 minutes and makes about 10 cakes.
Ingredients for Falafel Cakes
1 box of Sunshine Burger Falafel, thawed
1 ripened banana
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
¼ cup of cilantro, chopped
2 tbs corn starch
1 tsp of sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp of cumin
3 tbs of gluten-free baking flour
Ingredients for Sauce
2 ripened avocados
1/2 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup of coconut milk
For the Falafel Cakes
- Allow for Sunshine Burger Falafel patties to soften prior to use and put in a food processor or blender and blend until crumbled.
- Add in all ingredients and blend until a thick paste is formed. If mixture is too thin add another tablespoon of gluten-free flour.
- With a large spoon, scoop some of the mixture and shape into a ball, the size of a golf ball, and then press gently to make a patty.
- Drop into the gluten-free flour to coat evenly. You should have a very light coating of flour over all of the cakes. Shake off excess coating.
- In a large pan melt a tablespoon or more of coconut oil, enough to evenly fry the cakes. Cooke for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until nicely golden brown.
- Place cakes on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
For the Sauce
- In blender or food processor combine all ingredients for the sauce until smooth.
- Extra coconut milk can be added if you want the sauce to be more like a dressing.
Add falafel cakes to a bed of organic greens with sliced cucumber and top with the avocado mint-cilantro sauce for dressing.