Thanksgiving is observed in a variety of ways depending on your tradition, and for many of us it’s about allowing ourselves to indulge in delicious food and good company. We love the festivity of it all, but also recognize our bellies need a break after! We created a recipe that is perfect for a light, vegetarian, healthy option the day after a big meal.
Our Sunshine Frittata combines our hearty Garden Herb burgers packed with plant-based nutrients, fresh veggies and our favorite plant-based cheese, Miyoko’s Winter Truffle Wheel. With 15 minutes of prep time and 15 minutes of cooking time it’s easy to whip up for a house full of guests.
Our recipe is 100% vegetarian but if you want to make it completely plant-based you can replace the eggs and milk with your favorite egg substitute and unsweetened non-dairy milk of your choice. Almond works well. Likewise, you can use goat cheese crumbles instead of Miyoko’s if you prefer. There are many options to tailor this recipe to your dietary desires.
Ingredients, Serves 6:
1 large zucchini
1.5 red bell peppers
3 Sunshine Burgers
8 eggs (can you an egg substitute to make 100% plant-based
1/3 cup milk (cow or unsweetened almond)
4 oz of Miyoko’s Winter Truffle, cut into ¼” cubes (or your favorite plant-based cheese or goat cheese crumbles)
Not sure your skillet’s handle is ovenproof? Wrap the handle completely and tightly with aluminum foil to protect it from the heat.
10” ovenproof skillet
- Prep – Wash and dry all produce. Cut zucchini lengthwise in half and then crosswise into ¼-inch thick slices. Cut red bell pepper into ½-inch pieces. Crumble Sunshine Burgers into small bowl.
- Saute Vegetables – Heat 2 tsp olive oil in skillet over medium heat until hot. Add red pepper and zucchini; cook and stir 3 minutes or until tender. Add crumbled burgers; remove and set aside.
- Whisk Eggs – whisk eggs, milk, ½ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl until blended.
- Make Frittata – Wipe out skillet with paper towel. Heat additional 2 tsp olive oil in same skillet over medium heat until hot. Add egg mixture; spoon vegetables and burger mixture over eggs. Reduce heat to low. Cook 12-15 minutes or until eggs are almost set.
- Finish Frittata – Preheat broiler – place skillet under broiler and broil 1 to 2 minutes or just until eggs are cooked and top is golden brown. Sprinkle cheese on top for the last minute of broiling.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and enjoy!