The Holidays are observed in a myriad of ways for many people while others take this time to rest and relax. For many, it’s about allowing ourselves to indulge in delicious food and good company. We love the festivity of it all, but also recognize that after a few heavier meals our bellies need a break! We created a recipe that is perfect for a light, plant-based, healthy option the day after a big meal.
Our Sunshine Frittata combines our hearty Garden Herb burgers packed with plant-based nutrients, fresh veggies and topped with our favorite plant-based cheese, Miyoko’s Double Cream Garlic Herb Wheel. We chose to use Follow Your Heart’s VeganEgg product for this recipe as it works well for the consistency of a frittata. Made with organic Non-GMO soy it’s an additional source of plant-based protein on top of the stellar nutrients from our burgers. With 20 minutes of prep time and 15 minutes of cooking time it’s easy to whip up for a house full of guests or make on a Sunday and enjoy throughout the work week.
Ingredients, Serves 6:
1 small leek
5oz baby spinach
1/3lb. cremini mushrooms
2 Garden Herb Sunshine Burgers
7 VeganEggs (plant-based egg replacer made by Follow Your Heart – 1 package)
1 teaspoon scoop of Miyoko’s Garlic Herb Cheese Wheel
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Finished with olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper
Not sure your skillet’s handle is ovenproof? Wrap the handle completely and tightly with aluminum foil to protect it from the heat.
10” ovenproof skillet
Wooden spoon or spatula for sautéing
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prep – Wash and dry all produce. Let the Sunshine Burgers defrost while you are prepping the vegetables. Thinly slice the while part of the leek until you reach the green. Slice mushrooms. Set each veggie aside in a separate bowl until later. Crumble Sunshine Burgers into small bowl.
- Sauté Vegetables – Heat 2 tsp olive oil in skillet over medium heat until hot. Add mushrooms and sprinkle with salt. Cook for approximately 5-6 minutes or until tender and moist. Remove from heat and set aside. Next, cook baby spinach in the same pan. Heat pan with 2 tsp olive oil and add spinach and sprinkle with salt. Using tongs toss the spinach until just moist and quickly remove from heat. Sauté the leeks on medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until tender and melty in appearance; set aside. Finally, add crumbled burgers to the pan and sauté for 3 minutes or until it begins to brown; remove and set aside.
- Whisk Eggs – Follow directions on the VeganEgg package for 7 eggs. Whisk in a medium bowl, add salt and pepper and then transfer to a large bowl.
- Make Frittata – Combine veggies, Sunshine Burger crumbles into the egg bowl. Mix until veggies and crumbles are evenly dispersed in the eggs. Wipe out skillet with paper towel. Pour 2 tsp olive oil in same skillet coating the entire pan including the sides. Pour frittata mixture into the pan. Put the pan in the over and bake for 12-14 minutes or until eggs are set but not dry. To test if the eggs are set, stick a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out dry then it’s done and if it’s still moist return to the over for 2 minutes and retest.
- While the frittata is in the oven, prepare your garnish and side salad. Wash and chop salad veggies. Drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Chop chives into very small pieces.
- Finish Frittata – Preheat broiler – place skillet under broiler and broil 1 to 2 minutes or just until eggs are cooked and top is golden brown.
- Arrange slices of frittata on individual plates next to salad. With a teaspoon, scoop Miyoko’s cheese on place on top of the frittata slice and sprinkle with chopped chives. Drizzle with olive oil and flakey salt.
Happy Holidays to you and your family and enjoy!