Vegan and Vegetarian Holiday Pot Pie Made with Garden Herb Sunshine Burgers
Recipe Creation and Photos by Alexandra Gardner
Surprise your family and friends with this delicious take on the traditional chicken potpie but with a healthy and vegan twist.
*This recipe is not gluten-free but can be made gluten free by using a gluten free pie crust of your choice.
1 Clove of garlic
1 Whole onion
1 Bag of Cascadian Farms Organic frozen mixed veggies
1 Vegan piecrust (or gluten-free substitute of your choice)
1 Sheet of puff pastry (or substitute for a gluten free option of your choice)
2 Garden Herb Sunshine Burgers
2 Cups of organic vegetable broth
¼ Cup of organic unsweetened almond milk
¼ Cup of flour ( use almond flour for gluten free substitute)
1 Tsp. of salt
1 Tsp. of Thyme
1 Tsp. of Rosemary
Prep time is about 30 minutes with a 30 minute cook time.
- Dice garlic and onion and sauté in olive oil until onions are fully cooked through
- Add in bag of frozen mixed vegetables or vegetables of your choice and continue to sauté with onions and garlic until cooked through or mostly cooked.
- Add in salt, thyme and rosemary and mix into sauté.
- On a separate plate, place two Garden Herb Sunshine Burgers and let thaw until soft to the touch. Mash up burgers to make a crumble.
- Transfer contents of pan (mixed veggies, onion and garlic) to a pot and add in crumbled Sunshine Burgers.
- Add in 2 cups of vegetable broth to pot and cook on low heat.
- Add in ¼ cup of unsweetened almond milk to pot and continue to stir on low heat. Add in additional water or almond milk as necessary or until mixture is soft and moist like a thick soup.
- Transfer contents of pot to pie and preheat oven to 400°F
- Place pie without top pastry cover into oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Take pie out of oven and let sit while you cut the puff pastry sheet into 9 strips.
- Use the 9 strips to weave a top layer piecrust and lay on top of the pie.
- Place back into oven and cook an additional 15 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
Serve and enjoy!